Pre-K Casual Caregiver – Full Time – Peacock Primary School
Wage Range: $15.00/hr
Job Competition #: PreK-CCGP-CAS
The YMCA has been part of life in Newfoundland and Labrador since 1854. Our charity’s core programs of Health, Fitness, and Aquatics; Child Care and Day Camp; and Employment, Enterprise, and Newcomer Services are offered at more than 20 locations in our communities with an additional 170 points of delivery throughout the province. Our focus on inclusiveness and accessibility means we serve people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities through all stages of life.
Join Our Team
YMCA Pre-Kindergarten programs support families and foster the healthy growth and development of children. Our programs help children to build self-confidence, learn healthy behaviors, and develop strong values. Based on the YMCA Playing to Learn emergent curriculum our all-day child care program is licenced by the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. We are seeking Casual Caregivers to join our Child Care team at Peacock Primary School in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. Casual is defined as no greater than four working days per week and/or 60 working days a calendar year. The goal is to challenge and motivate children by creating a stimulating, safe and nurturing environment. Support is provided to families while diligently adhering to government regulations and YMCA policies, procedures, and standards. The YMCA is the Selected Proponent for the Newfoundland and Labrador Pre-K Pilot with locations anticipated to open in communities across the province in 2023.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be 18 years or older to work in regulated child care
- Completion of the AECENL Casual Caregiver Pilot Program Module
- Experience working in early learning or equivalent experience providing care
- Current Emergency or Standard First Aid
- Acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must be able to lift and move children, materials and equipment (up to 50 pounds) on a consistent basis. As well, physical effort, strength and endurance is required in the supervision and care of children, e.g., maintaining balance, kneeling and bending, pushing and pulling strollers and carts, light housekeeping duties and moving quickly to assist children in emergency situations
Benefits of Working with the YMCA
- Competitive compensation with annual performance based wage/salary increases
- $50-$100 Christmas gift card
- Employee Referral Program (Child care positions only; $15 for every candidate interviews; $50 for every new hire)
- Enhance your health with a free YMCA membership
- 10% staff discount to YMCA programs and services (not applicable to child care fees)
- We cover the fees for: AECENL annual membership, AECENL waivers and orientation course, Emergency/Standard First Aid, Criminal Record Checks and Vulnerable Sector Checks, professional learning fees, mileage for supply pick up, and post-secondary ECE applications
- Monthly petty cash provided and equipment budget for high quality classroom supplies
- Free uniforms. No more deciding what to wear to work
- Keep your career dynamic through our professional development programs
- Work in an inclusive environment where caring, honesty, diversity, respect and responsibility are lived values
- Creates a respectful and inclusive environment
- Demonstrates the ability to see the world from a child’s perspective
- Build relationships with people through behaviours such as greeting people by name, anticipating needs and providing feedback
- Demonstrates personal discipline to meet expectations and goals
- Self-manages behaviours, learns from mistakes, and seeks out feedback and coaching
- Reliable and punctual to ensure our team creates a great participant experience
The YMCA is on the 2023 Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers. Join the YMCA and become a part of a team you’ll love.
The YMCA of Newfoundland and Labrador is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to an environment that is barrier-free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.